We are pleased to bring you
Attachment Theory in Practice.
The Interactive Training of the
4-Day Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Externship®
This is an official Externship, endorsed by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) and brought to you by TRI EFT Alliant and Utah Tech University.
Attending this Externship is the first step to being listed at the EFT website, where couples are going to find trained couple therapists. Attending this externship is also a step towards becoming a certified EFT therapist. For further details about the certification process please refer to Susan Johnson’s International Centre for Excellence in EFT (ICEEFT). In this Externship, you will learn to:
• See marital distress from an attachment perspective.
• Help partners reprocess the emotional responses that maintain couple distress.
• Shape key new interactional and bonding events.
• Overcome therapeutic impasses.
You will see a live demonstration session, a profound learning experience.
Endorsed by Therapy Originator: Dr. Sue Johnson
Dr. Sue Johnson is an author, clinical psychologist, researcher, professor, popular presenter and speaker and a leading innovator in the field of couple therapy and adult attachment. Sue is the primary developer of Emotionally Focused Couples and Family Therapy (EFT), which has demonstrated its effectiveness in over 30 years of peer-reviewed clinical research.
Sue Johnson is founding Director of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy and Distinguished Research Professor at Alliant University in San Diego, California, as well as Professor Emeritus, Clinical Psychology, at the University of Ottawa, Canada.
Dr. Johnson has received a variety of awards acknowledging her development of EFT and her significant contribution to the field of couple and family therapy and adult attachment. Sue has been appointed as a Member of the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honor recognizing outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to Canada. In 2016, she was named Psychologist of the Year by APA, and has been honored by AAMFT for her Outstanding Contribution to the Field of Couple and Family Therapy.
Facilitated by these Certified EFT Trainers:
Dr. Rebecca Jorgensen
Certified EFT Therapist, Supervisor and Trainer
Becca is a Founder and Director of San Diego Center for EFT and the Training and Research Institute for Emotionally Focused Therapy (TRI EFT) and founder and director of Building A Lasting Connection® and the EFT Clinic and Education Center in St. George, Utah.
Becca is best known for providing EFT training and support, online and in-person, and for her best selling videos EFT Step by Step and Emotionally Focused Therapy: A Complete Treatment. She facilitates training and provides consultation across the world.
Dr. Jorgensen holds the PhD in Clinical Psychology with specialized training in treating trauma, sexual difficulties and leadership. She maintains a clinical practice providing Intensive Couple Therapy and clinical consultation and supervision.
Dr. Jorgensen did her training in EFT directly with Dr. Sue Johnson, is honored to be on the Training Team from the inception of ICEEFT and presents with Sue on a regular basis. She is devoted to strengthening families through helping couples develop safe and secure attachment bonds and helping therapists learn effective couple’s therapy. Married to the love of her life, she and Max are proud grandparents of thirteen delightful humans.
Kathryn de Bruin
Kathryn de Bruin is a Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified EFT Trainer and Supervisor. She has a full time private practice in San Diego, CA where she works with children and families. Kathryn teaches at the University of California San Diego and at Bethel University. With a heart for her homeland South Africa, Kathryn started www.eftsouthafrica.co.za. She remains involved in EFT South Africa as she mentors the community and a Trainer-in-Training there.
As a AAMFT supervisor, Kathryn enjoys providing supervision in person and online. Supervisees have described her as warm, perceptive and skilled.
With her strong work ethic, it is important to Kathryn to be accessible and responsive to those who work with her.
For more information on Kathryn, visit her online at www.kathryndebruin.com
Dr. Scott R. Woolley
Scott R. Woolley, PhD, is a Professor in the MFT Masters and Doctoral Programs in the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University.
He is the Executive Director of the Training and Research Institute for Emotionally Focused Therapy and a founder and director of the San Diego Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy.
Dr. Woolley maintains a private practice focused on EFT couples therapy.
He has trained therapists in EFT in many areas of the world, including Canada, Chili, Finland, Guam, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Taiwan, London, and throughout the U.S. He has co-published, co-presented, and co-trained with Dr. Susan Johnson, founder of EFT.
Transform the way you work with Couples
Earn 28 CE’s
General Objectives of the EFT Externship
* To gain a clear understanding of the systemic concepts and basic experiential moves of an “Emotionally Focused Therapy” approach.
* To hold an attachment view clients coping with their interpersonal dilemmas so you can conceptualize relationship distress and repair based on theories of attachment and emotion.
* The focus of this training is on the general model of EFT as presented in the 2019 book, Attachment Theory In Practice, and how you can implement the model in couple and individual therapy sessions.
* To provide the opportunity to develop skills in sharing, maintaining and engaging in an open and collaborative alliance with your clients.
* To develop skillful use of the 5 moves of the basic macro-intervention “the EFT tango” in order to improve clients’ affect regulation, models of self and other, strategies for engaging with others and changing interactional patterns.
* To develop ability to utilize systemic and experiential models of interventions applied as EFT micro interventions.
* To participate in skills development to overcome common blocks and impasses across EFT therapy modalities so you can shape core corrective emotional experience that leads to constructive dependency and what we conceptualize as ‘secure attachment’.
This training includes an overview of the entire model of Emotionally Focused Therapy including steps and stages, interventions, adult attachment theory, and application of EFT with couples and individuals. The externship is recommended for all types of mental health clinicians to learn to work experientially using attachment science with an emphasis on successful couple therapy.
This training is the prerequisite for all other EFT trainings.
Reference Materials for Study
Attachment Theory in Practice: Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) with Individuals, Couples, and Families
The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection” by Susan M. Johnson, 3nd Edition, 2019.
February 12-15 2024
9:00 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Pacific Time
• Day 1: What makes EFT work: The theoretical underpinnings, the research and the map from insecure attachment to secure attachment.
• Day 2: Demonstration Session, EFT Interventions and Stage 1.
• Day 3: EFIT, Demonstration Session and Stage 2
• Day 4: Becoming an EFT Therapist, Stage 3 and Attachment Injuries.
This event will be held at The Dana on Mission Bay.
1710 W Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
Reservation Booking Methods
Book Online HERE
Phone: Call 800-445-3339 to reach the Reservations department; please mention “EFT Externship”
Participants must be familiar with and abide by professional and legal confidentiality requirements regarding all client information shared in the training. Certification in EFT is offered by ICEEFT based on completion of all requirements and demonstrated competence in the model. Completion of training does not guarantee competence or certification. Enrollment in this training constitutes an agreement to hold harmless The San Diego Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy, the Training and Research Institute for Emotionally Focused Therapy (TRI-EFT), and all presenters and trainers from any and all claims, actions, and judgements, including all costs of defense and attorney’s fees incurred in defending against the same. I have read and agree to follow the terms for participation.
• Regular Price: $1,095
• Early Bird: $895 (until January 1, 2024)
• Intern/Military: $695 (until January 22, 2024)
• Full Time Student: $595 (until January 22, 2024)
• Alliant Full Time Student: $495 (until January 22, 2024)
• Working with Diversity Scholarships – Click Here to Learn More.
Here’s what people are saying about it!
“This is by far the best educational training I have ever been to. I feel much more competent & confident in using the EFT approach.”
“First day back in my office and I am feeling great about the training and YES able to put skills into practice immediately.”
“The externship was a deep learning experience, and I have new angles on many of the things (and people) I have been working with over many years.”
Click Here to send us an email or call us at 619-832-2287.
*Alliant International University is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Alliant International University maintains responsibility for the program and its content. Alliant International University is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to provide continuing education for Nurses (provider #CEP11235).